For those who has finished reading the novel these questions will go a long way in your preparation in 2017 JAMB UTME Use of English. Those who are yet to read the book can read our full compiled summary which can help them understand the questions posted below:
94 Likely Questions From Each Chapter Of JAMB Novel For 2017 UTME- In Dependence By Sarah Mayinka
Chapter One Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
1. For what purpose is Tayo travelling to England?
Ans: To take up a scholarship at Balliol College, Oxford
2. What is the name of Tayo’s school in England?
Ans: Balliol College
3. What is the significance of Tayo’s visit to relatives before embarking on his journey to England? Ans: It is their tradition
4. Through what means of transportation does Tayo travel to England?
Chapter Two Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
5. Why is Tayo surprised that people do not greet each other in passing in England?
Ans: Because in Nigeria, so much value is attached to greetings
6. In what subject did Bisi receive the highest honours?
7. In the Ajayi motto, all things are expected to be done with moderation except what?
Chapter Three Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
8. Who is Mr Barker?
Ans: He His headmaster and Mr Faircliffe’s old colleague
9. What reminds Tayo of his mother in the Barkers’ house?
Ans: Isabella cooks wonderful meals in a way that reminds Tayo of his mother
10. Christine was in her third year of study when?
Ans: Tayo met her for the first Time
Chapter Four Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
11. What is Vanessa Richardson’s nationality?
12. What is the name of the friend that Vanessa wrote a letter to, concerning the status of women? Ans: Jane
13. The full meaning of JACARI is?
Ans: Joint Action Committee Against Racial Inequality
Chapter Five Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
14. What are Christine’s reasons for putting an end to her relationship with Tayo?
Ans: Because she was called ‘clingy’ and the fear of her boy being snatched by some woman
15. The language of fun among Tayo’s Nigerian friends is ?
16. What are the things that made Tayo remember home each time he is at Christine’s place?
Ans: Her cooking which reminds him of mama and the juju and highlife music she plays
Chapter Six Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
17. What is the trait that Nessa cherises in Tayo and that is absence in Charlie and Mehul?
18. What does Nessa mean by saying she has a ‘’small confession’’ to make?
Ans: She has connections to Nigeria as her father is a colonial officer over there
19. What did Tayo name Vanessa as?
Chapter Seven Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
20. What delicacies did Vanessa’s mother make to welcome her daughter?
Ans: Chicken pie and cake
21. For what occasion did her mother ask her whom she was inviting?
Ans: Christmas party
22. Whom did Vanessa’s father invite for the occasion?
Ans: His South African racist miner friends.
Chapter Eight Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
23. How old was the Richardson’s house when Tayo attended a party there?
Ans: About 200 years
24. “We all get embarrassed by our parents”. Who said this?
25: To whom was it said?
Chapter Nine Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
26. What, according to the narrator, did Nessa admire in Tayo when she visited him in the room and saw him organizing his records in piles?
Ans: His tidiness
Chapter Ten Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
27. Where did Simon suggest that they (him, Tayo and their two girlfriends) spend Easter?
28. Christine died by------?
29. Why did Tayo feel guilty about Christine’s death?
Ans: His refusal to respond properly to her letters and not giving her attention
Chapter Eleven Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
30. Who is the only family Tayo has in England?
31. Why does Vanessa’s father detest Uncle Tony?
Ans: To him, he is unconventional to him and because he had the opportunity of achieving a place at Cambridge University which Vanessa’s father didn’t have
32. What qualities did the narrator ascribe to Nancy?
Ans; She is being described as having a ‘supercilious (arrogantly proud) tone and feigned generosity’
Chapter Twelve Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
33. What made Tayo realise how lucky he was for getting a scholarship at Balliol?
Ans: He witnessed the life of struggle most African students live, engaging in ridiculous and exhausting jobs such as bakery and hospital work to make ends meet
34. What do the signs: “No Dogs, No Irish, No Coloureds’’ (Africans and Indians) symbolise in the novel?
35. The least strenuous work was reserved for whom?
Ans: The English
Chapter Thirteen Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
36. Where was bathing done since there is no bathroom in Tunde’s house?
Ans; Kitchen (in tins) or public baths.
37. For what purpose(s) did Tunde throw a party in his house?
Ans: For Tayo and to celebrate Gambia’s independence
38. ‘’Nigerian women are the best’’ who said this?
Chapter Fourteen Likely JAMB UTME Questions And Answers
39. Whose wedding did Tayo and Vanessa attend?
40. Joyce was expected to be the bride, but the bride turned out to be whom?
41. ‘’No! Don’t Moremi me’’ Who made this statement?
List of services offered here on Mydreamschool Check Here.